Install Module doesn't work

Install Module doesn't work

Postby cramires » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Is there another way to install a new module different from "Install Module" tool? I can not install any Module or Applet. The system just give me back a white page no errors or warnings.

Thanks for any help.

Carlos Ramires
Brazil
cramires

Re: Install Module doesn't work

Postby zefredz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 am

Hello,

Check that the module directory exists and that Claroline has access write on it. Also check the PHP error log for error messages.

Regards,
Frederic Minne (ZeFredz) - Université catholique de Louvain - Contributor to Claroline
zefredz
Contributeurs Actif Forum

Postby cramires » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Zefredz,

First of all thanks for replying. There is a module directory in admin directory. It has wxr-xr-x access properties.

If I turn on Debug Mode, no message cames up.

Regards,
cramires

Postby zefredz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 am

Hello,

I think Debug mode will be of no help here.

A blank page usually occurs when PHP generates a fatal error and when error display is disabled in the PHP configuration. So you have to check the error messages in the error logs of PHP. The location where PHP writes errors is defined in the php.ini configuration file. On a linux box you can check the system logs in /var/log/messages.

Alternatively you can activate error display in the PHP configuration by setting the variable display_errors to On in php.ini

Code: Select all
display_errors = On

Regards,
Frederic Minne (ZeFredz) - Université catholique de Louvain - Contributor to Claroline
zefredz

Postby cramires » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello,

The problem is I have no access to PHP.ini. My production Claroline uses a shared commercial host and is not ease convince the administrator change settings. I will try.

Thanks a lot.
cramires

Postby zefredz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:46 am

Hello,

If your Claroline is located on a commercial host, the php errors are probably written in a file somewhere. You should ask your server administrator where to find the log.

Best Regards,
zefredz

Postby cramires » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Dear Friend,

My admin can not enable display errors function but he can give me an specific log. I am waiting for that.

I observed that my PHP Memory Limit is 8M, do you think it could be an issue for module installation?

Regards
cramires

Postby Dim » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:20 am

Hello,

I observed that my PHP Memory Limit is 8M, do you think it could be an issue for module installation?

You can try to modify the limit to 16M (for example). It could solve the problem. It depends on the number of courses you have on your plateform, the size of the module you are trying to install, ...

Regards,
Dimitri Rambout - Claroline Team
Dim

Postby cramires » Fri May 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Friends,

I realized that could be something with the 'unzip' function. I've observed that the same problem occurs when I tried upload a Zip file.

Any idea about what do I need look for?

Regards
cramires

Postby zefredz » Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 am

Hello,

If you try to upload and unzip zip files bigger than the PHP memory_limit, it will fail. But with a memory_limit of 8Mo, most of the memory could be taken by PHP itself (depending of the installed PHP modules) leaving little memory left to unzip a file.

But this is probably not an issue for module installation unless you try to install a module weighting several Mo. Your issue is probably due to bad access rights on the module directory. To install modules, the module directory at the root of your Claroline install (NOT the one in claroline/admin !) must have drwxrwxrwx rights to allow Claroline to unzip and install the modules. Please check that the access rights are correctly set.

If this does not work, I'm afraid you have to check the error log to know what happens when you try to install the module.

Best Regards,
zefredz

Postby cramires » Mon May 18, 2009 4:50 pm

It Worked...

I changed rights and it worked. The interesting observation is that I can make it it works on my own server with drwxr_xr_x rights.

But my problem was solved,

Thank you very much,

Best regards

Carlos Ramires
cramires

Postby heary » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi friends,
This is heary I am a new in this fourm actually the problem is that I have no access to PHP. A blank page usually occurs when PHP generates a fatal error and when error display is disabled in the PHP configuration. So you have to check the error messages in the error logs of PHP. The location where PHP writes errors is defined in the php configuration file. I will also try but I want proper help.

Thanks.
R4games
heary

Return to Tools and Applets